Monday, October 09, 2006

Spamalot Was A Bargain - CSNY Was Scamalot

Recently my wife and I attended a Broadway presentation of Spamalot. Spamalot is a stage adaptation of the movie Monty Python and the Holy Grail with some bits thrown in from the movie Life of Brian and the original Monty Python's Flying Circus BBC television shows. It was delightful and I wholeheartedly recommend catching the show on Broadway, in London's Theatreland or on a road show. We sat in the orchestra in seats that cost $110 (plus the $1.25 facility fee) each. The show kept us entertained for 2 hours and as is the trademark of a successful Broadway musical, other members of the audience were heard singing or humming the tunes on the way out.

Let's contrast this with this summer's CSNY or Crosby (David), Stills (Stephen), Nash (Graham) and Young (Neil) Concert. Titled the Freedom of Speech '06 Tour which we caught this summer at SPAC (Saratoga Performing Arts Center). Let me be very clear, I am not here to discuss politics. Rather I want to discuss the poor value offered by this year's CSNY concert tour. For $176 per seat, we also sat in the orchestra for what I hoped would be an enjoyable 3 plus hour concert with some old college friends. To begin with, Stephen Stills should have stayed home. His voice was shot and frankly reminded me of the ballplayer who limps onto the field well past his prime. About 90 minutes of the concert was devoted to CSNY's politics and anti-Bush diatribes. To add insult to injury, they did not sing many of their classic tunes including, to my astonishment, Suite: Judy Blue Eyes. Anyone who paid the top dollar that CSNY was asking for this concert deserved to hear the group’s greatest hits and not a litany of political musings. If I wanted political commentary, I would turn on the television on Sunday mornings and listen to many political views for absolutely nothing. CSNY should be ashamed for charging exorbitant prices and not delivering a consummate product.

Monty Python's Spamalot or CSNY Scamalot. The choice is simple. We Won't Get Fooled Again (Sorry, that's The Who or what's left of them, who also toured this summer). As to CSNY, here's a message from Monthy Python and myself - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life. That's my Freedom of Speech.

No comments: